Who are we?
We are a group of concerned Cedarburg parents, educators and medical professionals who feel that abstinence-only sex education is not enough to prepare teens for healthy relationships - now and into adulthood.
Research confirms that abstinence-only education programs, like the “Choosing the Best” program being taught in the Cedarburg School District, not only leave kids at risk, they stigmatize or exclude certain groups, reinforce harmful gender stereotypes, withhold medically accurate information, and undermine public health programs. We feel that the current curriculum's tactics shame non-conventional relationships and identities, and teach that all sexual activity outside of marriage leaves a person dirty, damaged, guilty, shamed and incapable of healthy relationships.
Great news - we're back in person for 2022!
We are pleased to announce that we will once again be providing in-person, grade-specific alternative comprehensive HG&D classes to students in the Cedarburg school district in 2022. We recommend you choose to opt your children out of the “Choosing the Best” portion of the HG&D curriculum at school (which you can do at anytime by emailing the administration or your child's teacher).
We will have more information in a few weeks so stay tuned!
How our approach differs from “Choosing the Best”
- Responsible, comprehensive, fact-based courses taught by qualified educators and medical professionals.
- Emphasizes that abstinence is the best choice for teens while also teaching them about healthy relationships and how to make good choices now and into the future.
- Not based on shame, guilt or prejudices.
- Mindful of all types of relationships and identities.
- Provides medically-accurate age-appropriate information about birth control and sexually transmitted infections.
- Our instructors answer every question to normalize conversations about sexuality, and encourage discussion about the range of values and beliefs with regard to sexuality.
- Our instructors understand that fear and shame-based approaches can lead to an unreasonable fear of getting appropriate medical treatment (because the behavior was “wrong”), can prohibit talking with trusted adults about relationships, and can discourage kids from disclosing information to potential partners that could trigger negative reactions.
Thank you again for your patience and as always, for your support.
The "REAL" HG&D programs are taught by educators and medical professionals who are passionate about providing teens with accurate and comprehensive HG&D information. Developed by researching HG&D programs of neighboring school districts, our programs emphasize that abstinence is the best approach for teens, while giving them the knowledge and tools they need to make good decisions for themselves as teens, young adults and throughout their lives. Teens also learn in an environment where they feel comfortable asking questions and sharing their thoughts.
Visit us on Facebook by searching "Support Responsible HG&D Education for Cedarburg" or click on the FB icon: